Sunday, February 2, 2014

Yes, Virginia, the 100th Day of School is for Third Graders too!

Typically the 100th Day of School is celebrated by Kinders and Firsties, but when I started teaching third grade I decided I would still celebrate learning whenever possible. There are a lot of ways to incorporate third grade curriculum into the 100th Day of School. 

Thursday, January 30th was our 100th Day of School. My students had a wonderful day filled with lots of 100th Day activities. Here's how we celebrated the 100th Day of School...Third Grade Style!

When my students came into our room, they were greeted with this banner.

I showed one of my mom's a Pinterest inspired picture and she decorated our door! The kids loved it!

Next, my students were surprised with these goodies on their desks.


100th Day snack was inspired by Pinterest! What did I ever do before this incredible social network?! 100 Days Smarter hat comes from Maria Manore's TPT store and can be found here.

100th Day Challenge

We spent the morning completing Rachel Lynette's 100th Day of School Challenge. This activity is a fun, scavenger hunt which incorporates ELA, math, and social studies! My students did this activity in teams, and I timed them to see which team could finish first.

100th Day Book 

We reviewed multiplication with one of our favorite books!





100 Math Equations

For math, my students worked in pairs to figure out one hundred equations that equaled 100. We reviewed what makes an equation an equation, and students were able to use any operation as long as the answer was 100! At the end of the activity, we charted 100 equations together as a class.


I grabbed this Ways to Make 100 freebie from a teacher blog and I forgot to save it. If this is your wonderful creation, please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due!

100th Day Project

For our 100th Day Project, students were allowed to decorate a t-shirt or cape with 100 items. In order to gear this project toward 3rd, I decided to add a twist! Students were told they had to show multiplication on their t-shirt/cape. We reviewed the ways to show multiplication - equal groups, repeated addition, and arrays. The kids once again blew me away with their creativity. Check out these awesome t-shirts and capes! 




Their teacher decided to join in on the fun, too! 



We concluded our 100th Day Project with a fun-filled fashion show. I invited the students' parents and another 3rd grade class to our show! 


One of my mom's donated balloons from the Dollar Tree. 
I used red butcher paper as our runway!

Look at these future models! They had a blast!

We concluded our 100th Day celebration with a yummy treat! One of my mom's is so talented and she baked us this delicious treat! Almost too cute to eat! Almost! ;)



I also gave my kiddos a 100th Day goodie bag!

The goodie bag consisted of a fruit roll up, wacky straw, and gooey eyes ring!

Our 100th Day celebration was a blast! We had a great day celebrating being "100 Days Smarter!"



Stay tuned for a post about our 100th Day Postcard Project! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment