Sunday, January 19, 2014

Reflecting and Goal Setting

Happy New Year, friends!

Our winter break was extended due to extreme freezing temperatures, so this past week was our first full week back in school. Boy, am I exhausted! I forgot how much I stand throughout the day. Teaching is hard work, folks! But boy was I excited to be back with my sweet kiddos!

This week I introduced my third graders to the second habit, Begin with the End in Mind, from Steven Covey's Seven Habits of Happy Kids. This habit teaches children to set goals and develop a plan for them. We discussed ways we could be good citizens at school, in our classroom, and at home. Students brainstormed and wrote out their goals on a graphic organizer. Then, we reviewed the parts of a paragraph - including a topic sentence, supporting details, and concluding sentence. Students wrote a paragraph describing their new year goals. The kids totally "blew" me away with their writing! One of them suggested that we add a hook at the beginning of our paragraph! It's so neat to see how much they mature throughout the year!

Thanks to Pinterest, we added a self portrait to our writing! I originally saw this idea on Cara Carroll's The First Grade Parade, and there are several other examples on Pinterest. Our writing paper and New Year's hat is a freebie from Amy Murdock on Teachers Pay Teachers. I love the way these turned out!










We're going to "blow" you away with our New Year's resolutions!

No comments:

Post a Comment